We all search for motivation. We search for it in the form of books, podcasts, television, documentaries, radio, mentors, coaches, etc. These are all great. The can give you an extra boost to move toward your goals. The problem with this is one thing – there is not self-motivation.
The secret to getting motivated and STAYING motivated is through self-motivation, and/or internal motivation. What are you going to do every day to add to your external motivation resources to help increase and maintain your motivation momentum?
Here are few tips to encourage self-motivation:
- Journal – Documenting your thoughts, ideas, and progress is a good way to give yourself mental clarity on your current situation and feelings. There’s also something about writing information down on a physical piece of paper, versus a computer.
- Affirmation – What is it that you ultimately desire? Is it financial freedom, confidence, career development? Whatever area it is, it is important to set forth daily affirmations that you declare each and every day. These are statements that focus on your strengths, not your weaknesses. This is what gets you motivated and positively thinking that YOU CAN.
- Grateful List – At the beginning of each month, write down ten things that you are grateful. They can be big, small, new or old. Simply write and post the good that is going in your life and read this to yourself every day.
- Reward Yourself – When you achieve a milestone in your growth journey, take the time to reward yourself, appropriately. I like to refer to this as the 10 Daily Delicious Habits (sounds good right). Make sure if aligns with the pathway of your goal. For example, rewarding yourself with a loaded ice cream sundae if you are trying to lose weight, is not a good idea. Instead, choose a massage and or Mani/Pedi.
- Step into the Future – We all love this idea of what could happen. Take a moment or two to visualize what it would look like if you indeed met your goal. Consider how you feel, your body language, the people around you, the expressions on your face and your environment. Then, think about where you are. Develop 2-3 strategies on what you can do now, to get to this future self.
Your goals, desires, and dreams are achievable. Sure you may look to others to help you get initial inspiration and to keep you accountable. However, at the end of the day, you are the sole individual responsible for keeping yourself motivated and determined to meet the goals. YOU GO YOU!