“I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book.”
– J.K. Rowling
As humans, we have all the gifts within us to live happily and successfully. The key to this, as I’ve discovered first hand, is to search and identify your purpose. For me, it was a focused effort which took me down different avenues of a career change, leaving home, traveling the world and a solo trip to Singapore. It was here that I discovered that it was my life’s purpose to uncover the purpose of others in a way that is transformational and life-changing.
I’ve always had my true purpose within me but it took searching, learning, and insight on how to find it for me to really uncover it. That secret in doing so was through books and formal education. I’ve always enjoyed reading but lost the love for it, when it was forced in college. Post-college curriculum, I read for leisure. Most of the books on my nightstand were hopeless romantic novels. It wasn’t until I was unsure about the direction of life that I picked up a self-help book. The first book (in my adult life) that truly transformed my mindset and opened up a new chapter to leisure and pleasure reading through self-help books was Robert Kiyosaki’s, Rich Dad, Poor Dad. Along with this book, the following is a running list of my favorite self-help books that have helped me to discover my life purpose. I have taken at least one transformational idea, practice or lesson from each of these and have added it to my daily and purposeful life.
Enjoy; in no particular order:
- The Purpose Driven Life – Rick Warren
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad – Robert Kiyosaki
- The Four Agreements – Don Miguel Ruiz
- Just One Thing – Rick Hanson, PhD
- The Power of Now – Eckhart Tolle
- Secrets to Six Figure Women – Barbara Stanny
- Who Says You Can’t, You Do – Daniel Chidiac
- Good to Great – Jim Collins
- The Art of Happiness – Dalai Lama
- The Miracle of Mindfulness – Thich Nhat Hanh
- Emotional Intelligence – Daniel Coleman
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People – Stephen R. Covey
- It’s Rising Time! What it Really Takes To Reach Your Financial Dreams – Kim Kiyosaki
- How to Win Friends & Influence People – Dale Carnegie
I will continue to add as I explore and master my purpose. If you have suggestions and recommendation of life changing books, please be sure to leave me a comment. Together, we grow.